Have you decided to stay away from the 280 characters of your Twitter account? Is it time to say your final goodbyes to the Blue Bird of Tweets? If yes, then you need to take the first step of deactivating your Twitter account. Yes, I know you want to learn how to delete your Twitter account. But, the way to deleting a Twitter account permanently is by deactivating it. Read on to understand how to delete your twitter account permanently.
Turn on Private Account
Before you hit the deactivate account button, make sure you set your account to private. This will make sure only your followers can read your tweets. No one else can read or access your tweets any longer. To turn on privacy and keep your tweets away from public eyes, you need to:
- Login into your Twitter account and click on Profile and Settings button. You will find it next to your profile picture next to search box on the top of the page.
- Select Settings and Privacy and then click on Privacy and safety on the left-hand side of the menu.
- Click on Protect my Tweets and your account will go private.
This step will also be useful when you delete your account. None of your public posts will be visible when you no longer wish to continue with your Twitter account.
Deactivating Twitter Account
To delete your Twitter account, you first need to deactivate it. Once you deactivate it, it takes 30 days for Twitter to get rid of all your Tweets. And then your account gets deleted permanently.
- Sign in to your Twitter account and go to Profile and Settings.
- From the drop down list you need to click on Settings and Privacy.
- Here, you can change the email account associated with your account as well as the username. If you just need to change the email address or username, then this is all you need to do. There is no need to deactivate your account.
- However, if you wish to deactivate your account and remove all the tweets from Twitter, then click Deactivate my account. This link is present just below the Save button.
Is it Done Then?
Once you click the deactivate link, your account will still have a grace period of 30 days. Your posts and tweets will be deleted permanently within these 30 days.There is no magic trick or shortcut to permanently delete Twitter account instantly. You have to wait for 30 days before the account is wiped off the face of Internet permanently.
Can We Go Back to The Way We Were Before We Broke Up?
If you cannot stay away from Twitter and are thinking of rekindling your relationship with tweets, then it is possible. You can reactivate your account within 30 days by simply logging into your account. Twitter will send you an email regarding reactivating your account and you will be back to your normal Twitter page like nothing ever went wrong.
This is all about how to delete your Twitter account. Just deactivate your account and do not go back to Twitter for 30 days. Once the 30 day grace period is complete, your account will be deleted forever. You can reuse your email address to create a new Twitter account if you want to later on.